Free Tax Preparation Help for Vermonters

Navigating Tax Season After an Injury
tax time

During tax preparation time, many organizations offer free tax filing assistance to Vermonters. Depending on your needs and your situation, you might qualify for free help through special programs for low-income and/or senior Vermonters. If you have questions about taxes and your workers' compensation, personal injury, or Social Security disability money, find answers from our lawyers here

Your tax return is due Monday, April 18, 2022, so contact a program soon if you need assistance.

Which Free Tax Help Program Is Best For Me?

Best for senior Vermonters:

  • IRS’s Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program
  • AARP’s Tax-Aide

Best for low-income Vermonters:

  • The IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
  • Vermont Legal Aid’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic
  • Your local Community Action Agency

Read below for more information about each program.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)

The IRS offers free tax assistance through the VITA and TCE programs. It is staffed by trained and knowledgeable volunteers who understand the tax laws.

VITA offers free tax assistance to people who need help preparing their own tax return and who earned $58,000 or less in 2021, who are not fluent in English, or who suffer from a disability. If you meet any of these requirements, a VITA volunteer can help you file your tax return electronically. They can also find out if you qualify for any tax credits that can let you keep more of your income.

The TCE program offers free tax help for taxpayers who are 60 years of age or older. TCE specializes in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors.

Use the IRS’s VITA/TCE Locator Tool to find a VITA or TCE site near you.

Vermont Community Action Agencies

Most of the community action agencies in Vermont have programs in place to help Vermonters with their taxes. Contact the agency in your county for more information about free tax help.

Vermont Legal Aid

Legal Aid’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic offers free or low-cost assistance to low-income taxpayers who have a dispute with the IRS about an audit, tax debt, levy, or lien. Get in touch by filling out their form or call 1-888-687-2277 to find out if you qualify.

AARP’s Tax-Aide

AARP provides free tax assistance and preparation through its Tax-Aide program. Find your closest location using their Tax-Aide Locator or call 888-227-7669.

Contact Biggam Fox Skinner if you have questions about filing a workers’ compensation or personal injury claim. Our experienced team is proud to provide knowledgeable guidance and personalized legal services to Vermonters. Call or text us at 802-455-9141 to schedule a free case evaluation today.